Monday, May 18, 2009

She Says: WTF Japan?

You know, it figures that we would save up for 2 years for the trip of the lifetime, we get here safely, and the ******* PLAGUE follows us here.
As of this morning 2,384 schools were shut down in Japan to help contain the spread of the H1N1. I suspect more of the Japanese populace will be staying home in light of this. That's fine, just means we'll have a better shot at getting places quickly. I just worry that we'll be going to government-run places and they'll be shut down.
For those of you about to worry that we're close to spending the remainder of our vacation in one of the lovely hospitals, be advised that the majority of the outbreaks are in Kobe and Osaka. We won't be there. The closest we come is a trip on the 21st out of Kansai Airport to Okinawa. Kansai is just outside Osaka. I am guessing we will be scanned again if they let us go at all. Bob and I are wondering if we'll even be able to fly down there given the scare going on.
At one point my father mentioned how we seem to close things. By that I mean we are usually there on the last day something is open. The Hershey Drug Store, the Wanamaker's building in New York, and a host of other places just happened to be some of the places we had a meal before they shut the doors behind us. It even happened to Bob and I at a cafe in Linglestown. So... it would appear I am carrying on the proud tradition of our family by going to Japan before everybody gets sick and dies.
I am, of course, invoking hyperbole when I say this.
We'll keep you posted. For now breakfast downstairs, Meiji-jingu shrine, and possible a trip through Akihabara.

No comments:

Post a Comment