Monday, May 18, 2009

She says: Day 1 part deux

We accidentally found a temple at the back of a park in Shinjuku. It was very lovely, and we saw many people there actually utilizing it. Pictures forthcoming. It was a beautiful, peaceful place and very different from the cars and people walking all around it.
I'd say we walked a good five or six miles so far, and I'm going to call that good because I am out of shape and my feet are hurting. We accidentally stumbled in to part of Akihabara (Yodabashi Camera! YUM!) and wandered around checking out the little shops. We stopped at a noodle house and the nicest, most patient man ever showed me how to order noodles with the dispenser machine after I screwed it up. He even explained what everything was in a Japanese/English mix that thankfully I understood. "Negi", btw, is pretty damned good beef.
Bob's right, it's impossible to eat that stuff without spattering one's front with little droplets of broth. It was excellent broth, I should add, and I have no idea how people eat the entire bowl they served to us, but they do. It was half again too much for me and for Bob, but we gave it a good try.
I mailed grandmother a postcard, and both the woman who sold the postcard to me and the woman who helped me put postage on it and get it in the mail were extremely polite and helpful. I think in general this is going to be the case and I need to stop being surprised by it. I had ~heard~ that the service industries in Japan were unrivaled for the responsiveness and efficiency but I don't believe I expected it to be rapid, with a smile, every single time.
I'm looking forward to an evening at the sushi bar. Trust me, there will be a report on that as well. For now, though, we relax and watch sumo wrestling on TV. Yes, I'm serious.
PS - Bob has fallen in love with the bolster pillows in the hotel room. When he turned to me and said "We need to have some of these" my heart sang. I have wanted bolster pillows for around our house. There shall be bolster pillow and/or fabric shopping when we get back, Huzzah!
Coke comes in aluminum bottles here, btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment