Sunday, May 17, 2009

She says: We're here!

7,000 miles, 14 hours in the air, 1 hour and 20 minutes on a train and 25 minutes of walking through downtown Shinjuku and we have arrived!
A few things learned today. First, if you for some bizarre reason need to fly halfway across the world, by all means do it with ANA. The stewardesses were incredibly helpful and responsives. The food was the best I have ever had on a flight. And they are very clear in their explanations of things, so getting confused only lasts a few seconds, tops.
However, I would suggest that you not do this economy as we did. Premium Economy class at the VERY last. I have two dead spots on my bum from sitting that long, even with getting up and wandering around occasionally.
Before we could disembark we had to put up with being scanned for swine flu via thermal photography. I got a few surreptitious shots of the Japanese CDC at its best. I found out I wasn't supposed to be taking pictures of them and was asked to stop. Never let it be said I didn't go the extra mile to get the day's WTF? photo!
Bob is currently out cold while I am trying to type this up quickly before I collapse from exhaustion. We've both been up since 2 am Saturday, and it's currently 7:20 pm on Sunday (We're ahead of you guys by 13 hours, for the most part.)
Dinner was room service, the bento option that yielded grilled fish, sashimi, rice, a few pickles, jellied fish, grilled eggplant and zucchini, and a pot of hot cocoa. Bob had a back and forth on the phone for about 5 minutes trying to order it before we learned a new word: koko-wa! If you don't say it that way, fair warning, they will assume you are asking for a Coca-Cola.
Sorry this is all there is, but trust me... it was all I could do to stay awake to eat a bit and write this. I intend to be asleep in 6 minutes.
More tomorrow, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment